Early in the Spring, we conducted an online survey sent to all our members. Thanks to all of you who took the time to participate in our membership survey, which yielded some interesting results for us to work with in the future. 44 of our 91 members (48%) responded, which is a pretty good result considering how busy everyone is. If you are curious, below are some details from that survey, which shows some information about this group that we are all a part of. Happy reading!
MOST — BUT NOT ALL — MEMBERS LIVE IN PARIS
70% of our respondents live in Paris (75), with the highest percentage living centrally in the 15eme (17%) and the 16eme (17%). 15% of our respondents live in neighbouring areas, and the remaining 15% didn’t indicate their post codes, or do not live in France anymore
MANY OF US ARE NEW TO PARIS / FRANCE
Many (45%) of our responding members have lived in Paris for 3 years or less. So, they value learning more about living in Paris and in France from our longer term members, some of whom have lived here for over 30 years!
- 16% arrived in 2010, 22% arrived in 2009, 7% in 2008, 25% arrived between 2000 – 2007, 12% arrived in the 1990s, and we even have members who have lived here since 1978.
WE ARE INTERNATIONAL ASIANS
The majority of our respondents are some form of Chinese (43%), which includes ladies who classified themselves as Singaporean, Mainland Chinese, Malaysian Chinese, or Hong Kong Chinese. Many of our members are of Asian ethnic descent, and yet claim other nationalities, including American, Canadian, Dutch and French.
The other ethnic groups are:
Japanese – 14%
Filipino – 11%
Korean – 7%
Taiwanese – 2%
Vietnamese – 2%
Indian – 1%
12% of respondents did not answer this question.
A little over half of our respondents are not working. Just under half are either working full time, part time or self employed.
WE HAVE MANY MOTHERS
38% of our respondents have young children 5 years of age or less; 32% have kids between 6 and 12 years old; and 32% have teenagers between 13 and 17 years of age.
WILLING AND INTERESTED MEMBERS
- 61% of respondents said they want to receive news, but want full freedom to attend functions and events as they see fit.
- 39% want to be more active, by joining one of our committees. We will be contacting you soon!
MANY ARE WILLING TO PAY DUES TO SUPPORT AWAP
A majority of respondents (66%) are willing to pay a nominal annual membership fee, if necessary in the future, to support administrative costs of running AWAP as a non-profit organization.
LUNCHTIME IS A POPULAR TIME TO GET TOGETHER — BUT NOT THE ONLY TIME
Most people prefer lunch time activities (this ties in with our love for food!), but some are willing also to try mornings, afternoons, or late night. We can always try to program some activities during these time slots and see if they become popular.
- More than half of respondents (57%) indicated that lunch time (11:30am-3:00pm)is the best time of day for them to attend functions.
- 41% are available in the morning (9am-11:30am) or for dinner (7:30-10:00pm);
- 24% indicated that afternoon tea (3:00-5:30pm) works for them;
- 21% would also attend activities after dinner (9:30pm-11:30pm).
WE ASIAN LADIES LOVE FOOD, ARTS & LEARNING!
You were asked to choose any and all existing and potential activities which you would be most interested in joining. An overwhelming majority said that they are most interested in Dining Out Socially (79%) Cooking Classes and Culinary Events (79%).
The next activities which generated the most interest were:
- Discovering Paris through organized tours (59%)
- Cinema/Ballet/Opera (59%)
- Talks Given by Experts on Specific Topics (59%)
- Coffee Mornings (56%)
- Wine/Cheese Tasting (51%)
- Group Exercise Classes (51%)
Since activities form the core of this organization, here’s a summary of all the responses we received:
WE NEED VOLUNTEERS
We are a voluntary organization, so volunteers are crucial to keep this group going and growing!
- About 26% of respondents indicated that they would be willing to volunteer to help organize some of the activities indicated above.
- Not surprisingly, the majority of these respondents are ready to volunteer to help with DINING OUT SOCIALLY.
- Others indicated that they are willing to help organize tours, children’s activities and playgroups, wine/cheese tasting events, fundraising, group exercise classes and walks, fundraising efforts, cooking classes and culinary events, and some are interested in joining the Board!
Fabulous! Our current Board members will be following up on an individual basis with all of you who indicated that you are willing to help!
WE LIKE TO SOCIALIZE
- The majority of our respondents (92%) stated that their primary reason for joining AWAP was to meet other Asians in Paris, and possibly to find new friends.
- 64% of respondents indicated that the second most popular reason was to get more information about Asian living in Paris (maybe an AWAP guidebook is in order!).
- Some said they were interested in networking within the Asian community and perhaps in promoting their business (21%), and some want AWAP to keep them busy and entertained (26%). A few are newbies to Paris, and want help finding their way around the city (8%).
- On a related topic, 34% of respondents are willing to host a coffee morning at their home, with a small group of about 10-12 people.
Thanks again to all of you who participated in this very informative survey!